Friday, December 18

Origen of Christmas

Joy to the world! My homework's done! I thought that it would be cool if I shared in a little Christmas history. Now, I could give my dorkified version of when Jesus was born, but that's too predictable. But if you would like to hear it in a later episode, I'd be happy to oblige. Wow, I actually spelled that right on the first try. So, why would anybody in their right mind be waiting for a fat guy in a red cloak to put stuff in their socks? Because of the real St. Nicholas of course! A long time ago, there was a man named St. Nicholas' father. He was a bishop for a church, and he had a sun named George. Just kidding his son was named Nick (duh). However, after looking at the Bible, Nicholas didn't think that his father was really using the money wisely, and instead squandering it on tricked out cars (well, no, but things of that nature). Because of this, Nicholas decided to go to the holy land to study for himself. Apparently, he was just having a blast, until a messenger came. His father had died, and he was chosen to become the new bishop, coming with all of it's fanciness. However, what Nicholas wanted was the simple life, get down back to basics to know God, but he had no choice. So he grumblingly sailed back to take over. As he was walking the streets in his cool bishop's outfit, he heard a father talking to his distressed daughter. She was so sad that she could't marry the man of her dreams, because they had no money to pay for the dowry. This gave Nicholas an idea. Late that night, he sneaked to the house, tossed a big bag of gold through the window, then ran off, chuckling to himself. (to be continued...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Julia :-)... I'm enjoying this (so far). I don't think I ever really knew the full story of St. Nicholas. Thanks for posting!!!

-Z

P.S. You should put up an awesome Christmas background...

Kelsey said...

Thanks for writing again!